As a portrait photographer, I get to see and review a lot of portraits. Unfortunately, what I see are a lot of common themes. The expressions are typically the same. Nothing unique; nothing that speaks to the business or industry; nothing that sets the executive apart from their competition.
Yet when you talk with business leaders, their needs are as wide ranging as the market itself. Now more than ever, business leaders need to have more options for different situations. The standard bust shot is great for some specific situations, but every executive should have more than one or two images in their public image toolkit.
Today’s executive has to have a presence online, blogs, press releases, brochures, marketing & promotional materials. Each market is different and the images should reflect these differences while maintaining consistent branding and messaging.
- Your office portrait – should be regal and inspirational.
- Your bust shot – great for press releases and academic publications.
- Your blogging and social media image – more pleasant, inviting and conversational.
- Images for brochures, marketing & promotional material – specific to your industry & audience.
- Images for annual reports – tailored for shareholders and investors.
Executives represent different industries and serves different stakeholders even within the same industry. A dynamic portfolio of images can be one advantage that can pay enormous rewards. A good professional photographer will know how to get someone to relax in front of the camera, evoke the best poses and provide suggestions for accentuating an individual's positive features and traits.